Thursday 23 January 2014

15. Evaluation: Question 2


Question 2
How does your media product represent particular social groups?



My music magazine represents music loving teens in a typical way. It uses dominant ideas about them to represent the social group in a way that everyone will recognise. My target audience is 14-18 year olds who are interested in indie and rock music. This group of people is my social group and the images I have included relate to them. I have images of;
·      A teenage boy, aged 16, who is wearing a band t-shirt, relating to the bands inside the magazine. He is wearing black skinny jeans, which most people associate with ‘emo’ or ‘rock’. I am really heading towards the second stereotype, although either would work, as they are recognisable. The boy has a casual stance and is holding the guitar in a relaxed way.
·      A famous young adult, in his 20’s, who is wearing a cameo t-shirt (which is most probably from his own clothing brand). He, also, is wearing black skinny jeans which has the same stereotype, due to the person who is wearing them. They are in motion and is singing. In another image, they are stood still, posing for photos. The subject is carrying a microphone.

I have chosen to represent teenagers (readers of this magazine) as positive people. I have tried
to avoid negative stereotypes about teens (e.g. moody, aggressive and anti-social). I think that I
have managed appeal to and represent the reader quite well. This magazine is aimed at both
genders, therefore I have attempted to make my magazine appropriate for both male and
female. I mainly focused on the music content, as people would buy the magazine for the music
content, despite which gender it is aimed at.



No comments:

Post a Comment