Thursday 21 November 2013

11. Proposal For My Music Magazine

I am aiming my magazine at both genders. More specifically around 14 - 18 year olds who listen to rock, alternative rock or indie music. The image that will attract this audience will be an image of someone with their guitar, most likely against a plain wall, playing. This will link in with the main cover line 'The Guitar Issue 2013'. My magazine will contain articles about recent, relevant music news that will be an interest to the reader. It will also contain new album reviews from a variety of artists and interviews from relevant artists. There will also be posters and a gig guide. My ideas for coverlines include;
  • Win! Tickets to see ANY band in this week's Gig Guide
  • The stars speak! Hear what they've got to say about some of the UK's biggest festivals
  • In the studio with While She Sleeps
  • Frank Turner: In the UK
  • 7 NEVER seen before photos of Panic! At The Disco 
  • Read pages from 12 year old Pete Wentz's diary!
  • 2013's 50 best singles! Including All Time Low, You Me At Six and Pierce The Veil
  • The world tour that 2013 will never forget
I would use bold, sans serif fonts for my masthead and possibly my main coverline to make it stand out. I would use serif fonts for the rest of my coverlines and the small, detailed text. I have decided to use the masthead: 'BAM!'. This stands for Best Alternative Music. 
I had a few ideas for the fonts of the masthead:


BAM!
             Best Alternative Music



BAM!
 Best Alternative Music


BAM!
Best Alternative Music


I am going to use the first font as it is eye-catching and quite unique. I had some other ideas for names, but I rejected them as they weren't appropriate or relevant to the genre. These were:
  • In-Scene
  • Chill Magazine
  • Brake
  • AltRock
 It will be published around December, so that it will contain articles reviewing the past year and it will be published weekly. The contents page would contain similar colours to the front cover, clearly showing the relation between the two, and it will be obvious that it is from the same magazine. My magazine will be roughly £1.80, as it is published weekly. 

Influence From Research
I have decided to lay out my magazine in this way, as I have looked at other rock/alternative magazines to see how they all work. The majority that I looked at (e.g. NME) have red mastheads, hence the fact that I chose the first font. I have chosen those coverlines as they are similar to ones that I have seen on the cover of magazines like Kerrang!, Rocksound and NME. They are fairly short, but summarise all the information that could be important. I have borrowed some ideas for article style from other magazines, as I have decided to use light humour in some of my text. In magazines such as Rocksound and Kerrang!, humour is included in photo captions and notes throughout the magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment